Saturday, July 16, 2011

Is anyone open-minded enough to rent to a 16 year old?

I live in Melbourne Australia and I am turning 16 in a couple of months. My friend plans to move out in a few months and I plan to go with her. What frustrates me more than anything is that the people I talk to including my parents all agree 16 is far too young to move away from home. maybe they are right, but I know more than anyone what is right for me. and being someone who lacks motivation, this may be the best opportunity for me to find something to work for. I have a decent casual job, a sum of money that has been put away which we can use to pay the rent 12 months up front and with youth allowance and my pay, my friend and I should be earning enough to pay for bills and food whilst also making up some of the lost money used on rent. this is an important, life changing goal and we both fully understand that not a second of it will be easy. However this is something I feel we need to do. The only thing stopping us is the lack of faith and trust adults have in us. My dad thinks two more years will change me drastically in maturity but I know for a fact that my intelligence and maturity has not changed since I was twelve and two years will not be life changing at all. I have heard every lecture and every warning about how we will regret this and that it will not go well, but even still we will persist in achieving this goal and I ask all adults, either with children like us or with young people wishing to rent from them to have an open mind. See the other side of things and think about your decision before ignoring or distrusting them. I am aware of course that many young people are indeed immature and maybe you will be right about them, however it is my belief you should try to find out more about their personality and maturity before simply ending it with "They are too young." People mature at different ages and having your 18th, 21st or even 30th birthday does not suddenly make a person mature and it certainly does not make all their decisions correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment